Thursday, February 18, 2016

Travelling to South Lake Tahoe In Winter, While Pregnant


Heavenly Mountain Resort - Observation Deck
I was 17 weeks pregnant when we went to South Lake Tahoe, first weekend of February, together with my husband and 3-year old toddler. It was a 4 hour drive from our place at the bay area. A day before we left, I just had my visit to my OB/doctor, and she gave me a go signal to travel. I was at the earlier part of my Second Trimester, no longer having morning sickness, and was a bit more energetic. Fetal heartbeat was fine. The only advise that my doctor gave was not to stay at more than 8,000 feet altitude. I'll tell you why, later.


Here are the things we need to consider and prepare for:

1) WEATHER. We avoided the bad weather as it increases risks for longer travel time and other travel considerations. A week before our travel, there was a winter storm and the 4 hour travel time was increased to 6 hours due to speed limit, heavy traffic, and chain controls. We were already booked that time, together with my husband's office colleagues, but we decided to cancel a day before our scheduled departure. We are glad we did, otherwise, we would have endured the hassle. We booked a week later, with clear skies forecast, and as high as 50 deg F on daytime. 

2) TRAVEL STOPS. We planned just for one stop, halfway to our destination, at Sacramento (2 hours from home). We left around 9AM, and by 11AM, we were already there, in time for early lunch. Within less than an hour, we finished lunch, had our pee break, and were back on the road. Being pregnant, I  needed to keep myself hydrated and as such pee break is a must. If you want to plan more pee break stops, it would be better, maybe one stop per 1.5 hours of travel. 

3) TRAVEL TIME & TIME OF TRAVEL. I think it is best to avoid traveling late night. Food and other stops are more accessible in broad daylight, especially if you're not familiar with the place where you are going. On our way there, we have no problem with the travel time, we got there in 4 hours driving time. But on the way back, the traffic was slow (Sunday afternoon) at Highway 50, with only one lane, and some passing lanes every few miles. Actually, I feel that the passing lanes caused the bottleneck. An extra hour was added to our travel time. When we stopped at our original planned stop, I was having a bit of leg cramps already.   

4) TRAVEL KIT. Bring snacks and some heavy food, in case of emergency (bread, canned food). Bring plenty of water, too. Bring medicines, blankets, extra clothes. Bring car tools and tire chains, too. 

5) LODGING. You have to have a reliable hotel, inn, or lodging house. I read reviews before booking our hotel. Cleanliness is a big factor for me, especially that I'm carrying a baby in my womb. I don't want bed bug bites and smelly rooms. We had to balance cost vs comfort. We also considered accessibility of our hotel to other tourist spots and restaurants to save time and effort. 


Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel
We were able to book at Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel. We had to shoulder the higher booking rate because we booked a day before, just to be sure that I'm feeling well. It was a nice, non-smoking hotel. I have seen a lot of families booked there. They also have a breakfast buffet which serves a variety of food choices. They have their own vallet parking (with charge). But there is also a nearby open free parking (walking distance). They also have  option for late check-out, with extra charge ($25 for 2PM and $50 for 8PM). Being situated along Lake Tahoe Boulevard, it is also walking distance to Heavenly Gondola, some shops, and food establishments. However, at nights, if your room is facing the street, you can hear the music from nearby bars. It was not that loud, we were still able to sleep well (maybe that's just me). Better if you choose the room at the other side of the hotel, just to be safe.    


6) FOOD. We ate from familiar restaurant chains. There are a lot of restaurants at South Lake Tahoe main area. Being pregnant, I wanted to make sure I can eat something familiar from their menu. Trying out new food may not be that advisable to avoid tummy discomfort especially while traveling. Being pregnant, taking medicines for any form of discomfort is not easy, readily available, or advisable. But if you really want to experience other food, just make sure they are fully cooked and better if you bring your medicine, approved by your OB/doctor. 

7) ACTIVITIES. 

- Snow Tubing for family (not me) :)


Hansen Tube & Saucer Resort



Being pregnant, skiing and ice skating is already out of the picture. I just watched my husband and toddler go for ice tubing at Hansen Resort. 

They charge $20 per age 5 and up for 1 hour and $15 for succeeding hours. It already includes the tube. 



You need to bring your own gears, but because the slope is not that narrow, most tubers are not wearing any. 

As for me, I was wearing my snow boots while watching them at the sides. The ice can be a bit slippery and balancing maybe a bit of a challenge while walking on sloped areas. Just make sure you have a pair of good traction snow boots. 
   
- Sightseeing 
Gondola Ride up to the mountain


We also went to the Observation Deck of Heavenly Ski Resort. We took a ride at the gondola for $50 per person up (age 13 and up). Children 4 and below are free. Child rate is $22 (5 - 12 years old). It's a 2.4 mile ride.  

The Observation Deck is at 9,123 feet. Up there, you can see the Carson Valley, Desolation Wilderness and a wide view of Lake Tahoe. 
Observation Deck, Heavenly Mountain Resort

About the altitude recommendation from my doctor, the reason was the oxygen level is thinner as we go up. Some people may experience difficulty in breathing, and also reduces the oxygen for your baby. We only stayed there for less than an hour. I felt fine, no nausea or anything, other than feeling chilly up there. I never had any shortness of breath. 

If you are fit, in good shape, and have no pregnancy complications, I think it is okay. But best if you have a go signal from your doctor. 


We also went for a quick drive to Emerald Bay, just a 15-minute drive from our hotel. We went to the spot with a central view of the bay, about a mile from the vista point. 
Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe

It was not that hard to travel at 4 months pregnant, but it was not as easy as when you're not. The size of my belly is still manageable; I can still walk with only a little discomfort; And am no longer having morning sickness. 

I just made sure I was well rested in between activities and I do not tire myself much. I take extra caution in walking on ice or climbing slopes. There a lot of limits with the activities you can do, but you can still find enjoyment in other simple activities, especially when you spend them with your family.      





No comments:

Post a Comment