Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Pregnancy Weight Gain

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and I already gained 10lbs! 

















During the first 12 weeks, even though my baby bump ballooned early, I only gained the first 4 lbs, mainly because of my morning sickness, selective cravings, and heightened sense of smell, which made me avoid foods with strong aroma. But after the first trimester, my energy and suppressed appetite came back and thus, have been eating more often and much more, the whole day.

So, what is the weight gain guideline for pregnant women?

a. If you are healthy, with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 18.5 - 24.9, it is between 25-35 lbs.

b. If you are underweight, with a BMI of less than 18.5, it is between 28-40 lbs.

c. If you are overweight, with a BMI of 24 - 29.9, it is 15-25 lbs.

d. If you have a BMI of 30 and up, the suggested weight gain is only between 11-20 lbs.


My BMI before I got pregnant was 24 already, so I'm close to being overweight.
With my first pregnancy, I gained a total of 30 lbs. I was only able to lose 20 lbs+ after. This time I will set my weight gain limit to 25 lbs, just to make sure it will be easier to lose them, postpartum. 

If you want to check your BMI:
Click the link: BMI Calculator.
or go to: 
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html


Also, during my first pregnancy I avoided sweet and salty food for the first and second trimester. However, in my third trimester, the sweet cravings kicked in --- doughnuts, milk teas, chocolates, and ice cream and within that last few months I've noticed how bloated I look compared to the previous months. 

This time, I decided to submit to my sweet cravings during the second trimester. True enough, the weight gain jumped up immediately within a month. But, come third trimester, I will stay away from sweets and carbs (hopefully). 

They say, you can gain 1 to 5 lbs during the first trimester, and 1 to 2 lbs per week during your second and third trimester. 


During my first trimester (12 weeks), I gained  4 lbs, and from 13 to 18 weeks, 6 lbs. So I guess, I'm on the right track. But wait, if I continue to gain 1 lb per week in my remaining 21 weeks, then, my total weight gain will be 32 lbs... (uh-oh!) Maybe somewhere around my last 2 months I will find a way to resist the sweets and carbs. Wish me luck! 






No comments:

Post a Comment