Saturday, April 16, 2016

GTT - Glucose Tolerance Test

On my 24th week of regular check-up, my OB GYN gave me a request slip to undergo Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT). She recommended a 1-hour Non-Fast GTT.  This test is done between 25-28 weeks of pregnancy, to make sure you have not develop Gestational Diabetes.

So, I went to the laboratory on my 26th week. For the testing, they asked me to drink a 50 gram of concentrated Glucose solution in a bottle (color orange, looks like Fanta/ Royal Soda; and tastes a bit similar minus the carbonated taste). 


After I finished the drink, they set the timer for 1 hour, after which they drew my blood for testing. I got the results after 2 days. Good thing the results were still within normal limits. 

During my first trimester, I had my 3-hour GTT, with 12 hour fasting. It was recommended by my OB GYN just because the result of my initial blood test showed high sugar level. I went to the laboratory first thing in the morning. For the 3-hour GTT Test, they made me drink 100 gram of Glucose Solution. Then, they drew my blood after every hour, for 3 hours. 

During the 3-hour test, I cannot leave the laboratory premises. No food or drink was allowed, too. And no matter how sick I may feel, I cannot throw up, otherwise it might affect the test results. It was difficult and I dread repeating that test ever again. 

But just in case you have to take this test, it is tolerable. You just have to keep yourself busy with a book or your phone, plus moral support from a family member, preferably your spouse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment